Exactly beside the sea, the lovely Pondicherry – the French capital of India, gives a few stunning visitor attractions. Known for its city structure style, there is a number of famous tourist places in Pondicherry in South India. From post-card-ideal yellow buildings to sunny beaches, we convey to you a number of excellent locations to go to in Pondicherry together along with your friends and family right here. Make certain you placed all of those on your Pondicherry itinerary while you plan your trip!
So without any further delay, let’s go through the famous tourist places in Pondicherry.
Top 10 Best Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
1. Paradise Beach, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Located at Chunnambar alongside the Cuddalore road, Paradise Beach is one of the amazing Places to go to in Pondicherry. A ferry trip from Chunnambar takes you to this pristine seaside that fascinates each vacationer with its blue waters, white and golden smooth seaside sand, and tranquil environment. The picturesque seaside has pre-constructed shacks to the lounge below, first-rate changing rooms, showers, and clean toilets.
The seaside is frequented by locals and travelers throughout the weekends and gets extraordinarily crowded. Visitors aren’t allowed to booze around at this seaside and swimming at Paradise Beach isn’t always advisable. However, you may hire a fishing rod from the close by store and attempt your hand at fishing.
- Timings: The opening hours are from 9 am to 5 pm
- Price: Free
- Location: 40, Goubert Avenue, Pondicherry
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: It is located at a distance of 8 kilometers from the bus stand
2. Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Sri Aurobindo Ashram is one of the most peaceful and spiritual tourist places in Pondicherry. Sri Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry is famous internationally and become founded in 1926 by Sri Aurobindo. It hosts many physical education activities along with strength training, sports, asanas, and swimming.
In the middle of the ashram is the Samadhi or mausoleum of Sri Aurobindo beneath a frangipani tree. If you’ve got got a bent toward spirituality, yoga, and meditation, this ashram is one of the great locations to go to in Pondicherry to discover your inner self.
- Timings: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Location: Near Junction of Manakula Vinayagar No. 9 Marine Street, Manakula Vinayagar Koil St, Near Junction of, Puducherry, 605002
- Distance From Pondicherry Bus Stand: Sri Aurobindo Ashram is situated at a distance of 2.6 km from the bus station which is a journey of 9 minutes.
3. Auroville, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Auroville Ashram is a futuristic township this is the brainchild of the Mother, the religious collaborator of Sri Aurobindo. Auroville targets to unite human beings from all walks of existence and from all components of the world in opposition to obstacles like caste, creed, status, and religion and to allow them to stay in concord with each other it’s miles one of the exceptional locations to go to in Pondicherry.
The massive golden globe-like structure in the middle of Auroville is the Matrimandir, that’s really a large meditation center in which one ought to simply sit and recognition on one’s inner self. While constructing this township, soil from 124 countries become delivered to the ashram and became prepared in an urn and mixed. Today, you may discover the urn in the amphitheater amidst Matrimandir Gardens.
- Price: Free
- Location: Viluppuram District, Pondicherry, India.
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: It is located at a distance of 14 kilometers from the bus stand.
4. Scuba Diving:
Packed with captivating marine lifestyles, Pondicherry gives an extremely good adventure of scuba diving off the country’s East Coast. A dive into the ocean will let you discover the wealthy life comprising of lovely natural coral reefs and different special creatures including manta rays, kingfish, sea snakes, lionfish, butterflies, crustaceans, moray eels, and plenty more. Apart from that, if it is your lucky day you would possibly even spot whale sharks, even sharks, dolphins, and turtles. You additionally have an alternative of taking part in the dive at an artificial reef and reveling in the thrill of the activity making Pondicherry an impossible-to-resist diving destination.
- Cost of Activity: Starts at Rs. 5000 per dive
- Currents: Range from calm waters to strong, depending upon the tides and the dive site
- Depth of Dive: Up to 30 m
- Difficulty Level: Easy-Moderate
- Nearest Airport: Pondicherry
- Nearest Railhead: Pondicherry
- Nearest road city: Pondicherry
- Region: Bay of Bengal
- Time required for Dive: 2 days to 4 days
- Visibility in the waters: 20 m to 30 m depending upon weather condition
5. Promenade, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Pondicherry has a certainly shaped rocky promenade that has to turn out to be one of the most sought-after locations to go to in Pondicherry through photographers. This certainly scenic area with a fresh cool sea breeze is ideal for lengthy strolls and fun-stuffed gala time together along with your cherished ones.
There are numerous eating places around this posh place presenting a culinary feast. You also can discover hawkers selling peanuts and cotton candies through the promenade. If one photo has to mark your presence in Pondicherry, then a photo on the Promenade Pondicherry does the task flawlessly well!
- Location: White Town, Pondicherry
6. Serenity Beach, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
For the ones searching for a day packed with tranquillity, Serenity seaside is an enchanting go-to in Pondicherry sightseeing for all of the tourists. It boasts of the resplendent splendor of nature with its golden sands and blue waters that greet the traffic with a breathtaking view.
The lovely beach gives surfing and serves an exquisite spot to laze around below the color together along with your book or simply experience the company of your family with a fresh day in Pondicherry.
- Timings: It remains open 24 hours for visitors
- Price: Free
- Location: Kottakuppam, Pondicherry
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: It is located about 7 kilometers from Pondicherry Bus Stand
7. Arikamedu, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Dive deep into the records of this archaeological site of South India, Arikamedu. It turned into constructed again in the nineteenth century and is embellished with Roman lamps, glassware, stone beads, and numerous different matters and it’s far one of the much less explored places to go to in Pondicherry.
The emporium become currently used for archaeological excavations and capabilities some Red and black ceramic statues. If you’re a records buff you then definitely have to not neglect to feature this vacation spot in your listing of locations to go to in Pondicherry.
- Timings: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Price: INR 10 for adults, INR 5 for kids, and INR 50 for foreign Nationals.
- Location: Ariyankuppam, Puducherry 605007
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: Approx. 7.1 km
8. Auroville Beach, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Located withinside the pristine “City of Dawn”, Auroville, is certainly considered one among Pondicherry’s well-known locations and a really hyped beaches, and rightly so. Tucked well withinside the nook of a forest, Auroville beach is the appropriate definition of serene and exotic. The beach is a fave among surfers and its shallow waters make it ideal even for beginners.
The seashore is regularly utilized by ashramites for relaxing, consequently, in addition, improving the calming atmosphere. If you’re seeking out a soulful escapade then that is the proper location for you.
- Timings: 24 hours open.
- Price: No fee
- Location: Auroville beach, Pondicherry
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: Approx 8.4 km
9. Chunnambar Boathouse, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Also regarded as “Plage Paradiso”, Chunnambar Boathouse is a surprising boating and picnic spot placed at the backwaters in which the Chunnambar River meets the Bay of Bengal. At Chunnambar, you could solar front room and get solar-kissed or even play seaside sports activities together along with your own circle of relatives and friends and one of the well-known places to go to in Pondicherry.
You also can revel in boating in motorboats, speed boats, sailboats, rowed boats, water scooters, paddled boats, and pedaled boats and sail via the placid backwaters amidst thick mangrove trees. There are many eating places right here that serve delicious, piping-warm Chinese and Tandoori food. Adventure enthusiasts can revel in jet skiing and feature an infinite thrill.
From Chunnambar Boathouse, there are common ferry offerings to Paradise Beach.
- Timings: 9:30AM – 4:00PM
- Price: The entry fee is Rs. 10 per head, with extra charges for different water sports.
- Location: National Highway 45A | Near Water Sports Complex, Nonankuppam, Pondicherry, India
- Distance From the Pondicherry Bus Stand: The two places are 6.4 k away. If you travel via Cuddalore Road, it will take around 15 minutes to reach the destination.
10. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Tourist Places In Pondicherry:
Known for its stylish gothic architecture, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is one of the most famous locations to go to in Pondicherry. Offering prayers to the Almighty, devotees congregate right here at this respected vicinity of worship.
It is understood for having glass pics of 28 saints and lots of glass panels depict the existence of Jesus including the thrilling attractions of this church in Pondicherry.
- Timings: The mass timings here are 5:30 am, 12:30 pm, and 6:00 pm from Monday to Saturday. For Sunday, the mass timings are 5:30 am, 12:00 pm, and 5:00 pm
- Price: Free
- Location: MG Road Area, Puducherry
- Distance from Pondicherry Bus Stand: It is about 2 kilometers away from the Pondicherry bus stand
Pondicherry is a stupendous metropolis and attracts lots of travelers. The pleasant time to go to Pondicherry is in the wintry weather season because the climate is fine and you could make the maximum out of your vacation by exploring the well-known visitor attractions. The summertime between April to June is extraordinarily hot and also you won’t be capable of discovering the metropolis properly. Plan your trip from October to March and get prepared to revel in the exceptional of everything. From engaging activities to visitor attractions, you could tick off all of it out of your itinerary while enjoying the cool climate.